Alan Pardew is determined to keep a cool head in the "venomous" atmosphere of Sunday's North East derby.
The Newcastle manager takes his side to Sunderland less than eight months on from his touchline row with opposite number Martin O'Neill at St James' Park.
Pardew reacted wildly to a last-minute Shola Ameobi equaliser and knows his behaviour failed to set a good example.
He said: "There is a little bit of passion flying about and it needs to be conducted in the right manner by players and staff alike.
"But emotions sometimes get the better of you, like it did with me at the end of last season's game when we scored in the last minute. It's an emotive game, we want to win.
"You have got to control your emotions because, at some point, there will be a flashpoint in the game. There will be a tackle that's mistimed and probably looks worse than it is, and it will be how you behave when that incident occurs.
"It's one of the great derbies of the world. I have been to many, many games, including the Glasgow derby, and this game is as venomous as that. It makes it electric.
"You don't want to lose that passion, but hopefully at the end of the game, everybody shakes hands, the better team has won and we all go home safely. That's important."
- Kevin Nolan: Derby Hat-Trick Memory Will Never Leave Me
- Wor Jackie's Class of His Own: School Named After Newcastle Legend
- Beresford: Form Does Not Come Into The Derby
- Fanzine Face-Off: The Final Score
More from Newcastle United
- Newcastle's Steven Taylor Hopes Captain Coloccini Stays
- Newcastle Target Aubameyang Urged To Join Anzhi Makhachkala
- Newcastle United Manager Alan Pardew Backed By Board
- Transfer Talk: San Lorenzo Still Hope To Sign Newcastle United's Fabricio Coloccini
- Newcastle United No To Signing Andy Carroll
- Newcastle End Of Season Stat Attack: NUFC Had Worst Defence And Dirtiest Player
- Sky Sources: West Ham And Liverpool Agree Fee For Andy Carroll
- Tyne And Wear Football Team Of The Season: What Do You Think?
Related tags: Sport
- Sunderland's N'Diaye Backs Paolo Di Canio's Approach
- Altrincham Striker Joins Sunderland Development Squad
- Ryan Donaldson Leaves Gateshead For Cambridge United
- RFU Championship Playoff Final First Leg: Bedford Blues 9-18 Newcastle Falcons
- Is Alan Pardew Still The Right Man For The Job At Newcastle United? Opinion Poll
- LV= County Championship Durham CCC v Middlesex CCC: Day Two
- LV= County Championship Durham CCC v Middlesex CCC: Day One
- Sunderland End Of Season Stat Attack: SAFC Had Premier League's Most Accurate Finisher
Related tags: Football
- Sunderland's Titus Bramble Tweets Goodbye To Club And Teammates
- Sunderland Head Coach Paolo Di Canio Happy With Transfer Team Effort
- Former Sunderland Midfielder Claudio Reyna Named Director Of Football At New York City Football Club
- Transfer Talk: Reported Sunderland Target Mbokani Hoping For Premier League Move
- PFA Warning For Sunderland Boss Paolo Di Canio After Players' Complaint
Related tags: Newcastle
- Have Your Say: Newcastle United Fans' Survey 2013
- Newcastle 0 - 1 Arsenal: Final Day Defeat As Steve Harper Says Goodbye
- Newcastle United Manager Alan Pardew Confident Over Future
- Danny Simpson Confirms Newcastle Exit
- Newcastle Boss Alan Pardew: I'm Staying At St James' Park
- Newcastle United Owner Mike Ashley Offers £1Million Incentive To Beat Arsenal
- Newcastle United v Arsenal Preview: NUFC 'Owe A Performance'
- Newcastle United Dad-To-Be Davide Santon Spared 99mph Driving Ban