Sky understands Newcastle are among several Premier League clubs chasing Burnley hot-shot Charlie Austin.
Austin is currently the top scorer in the country after netting 15 goals in 12 games for Burnley.
The 23-year-old's outstanding start to the season has not gone unnoticed by clubs higher up the football pyramid.
The former Swindon man has established himself as one of the best strikers outside the Premier League with his goalscoring exploits for Swindon and Burnley over the last couple of years.
Newcastle and Aston Villa are both thought to be keeping tabs on Austin's situation as they weigh up moves for the striker when the January transfer window reopens.
Magpies boss Alan Pardew is thought to be a long-term admirer of Austin having watched him in action on several occasions, while Villa chief Paul Lambert could be in the market for striking reinforcements as doubts continue to surround the future of Darren Bent.
- Tiote Ready For Battle Against Club Teammates
- Van Persie Escapes Punishment Over Cabaye Collision
- Shearer: Man Utd Deserved Their Victory
More from Newcastle United
- Metz Striker Olivier Kemen Keen On Newcastle Switch
- Alienation And Amusement: Joe Kinnear Returns To Newcastle
- Sky Sources: Andy Carroll To Undergo West Ham Medical
- Kinnear's Transfer Dealings: 54 Players Signed - But No Frenchmen
- Newcastle Confirm Appointment Of Director Of Football Joe Kinnear
- Late Bid For Carroll? Kinnear's Newcastle Striker Hunt
- Joe Kinnear: I'm More Intelligent Than Newcastle United Fans
- Steven Taylor Backs Joe Kinnear's Newcastle Return
Related tags: Sport
- Badge Of Honour? Sunderland Boss's Dig At Rivals While Meeting President
- Free Travel Offered To Away Fans On Derby Day
- Transfer Talk: Sunderland Chase PSV Keeper Jereon Zoet
- Joe Kinnear: Newcastle Must Strengthen For Europe
- Joe Kinnear: Listen To Sky Sports News Interview In Full
- Newcastle United's Yohan Cabaye Not For Sale Says Joe Kinnear
- Alan Pardew 'Undermined' By 'Pointless' Kinnear Appointment
- Newcastle's Yohan Cabaye: Monaco Transfer 'Might Interest Everyone'