Alan Pardew has admitted that he would be interested in becoming England manager but is well aware of the pitfalls involved.
This week the Newcastle boss put pen to paper on an unprecedented eight-year contract on Tyneside, 18 months after arriving to replace the popular Chris Hughton.
The former West Ham, Reading, Charlton and Southampton manager was a controversial appointment, but the 51-year-old's stock has risen after guiding the Magpies into Europe.
Despite the length of his new deal, Pardew has confessed to harbouring international ambitions, but he feels any possibility of managing the national side is a long way in the future.
"I do have ambitions internationally, I would like to do that at some point," he told the Sunday Mirror. "Hopefully, I will see this contract out and then see what I'm going to do later on.
"I have always felt that a person can be a success as England manager. I won't change my opinion on that, but I don't think it's easy.
"Roy Hodgson probably has a tough spell as England manager because our pool of players is not as great as it used to be. Ultimately my ambition might reach that conclusion: to be England manager.
"It's not something I would not do and it's not something I want to do right now."
- Reading 2 - 2 Newcastle: Ba Brace Rescues A Point
- Ba Denies Handball Intent
- Pardew Sets Out His Ambitions After Signing Eight-Year Contract
- Llambias: Pardew The Man To Take Newcastle Forward
More from Newcastle United
- Newcastle's Steven Taylor Hopes Captain Coloccini Stays
- Newcastle Target Aubameyang Urged To Join Anzhi Makhachkala
- Newcastle United Manager Alan Pardew Backed By Board
- Transfer Talk: San Lorenzo Still Hope To Sign Newcastle United's Fabricio Coloccini
- Newcastle United No To Signing Andy Carroll
- Newcastle End Of Season Stat Attack: NUFC Had Worst Defence And Dirtiest Player
- Sky Sources: West Ham And Liverpool Agree Fee For Andy Carroll
- Tyne And Wear Football Team Of The Season: What Do You Think?
Related tags: Sport
- Altrincham Striker Joins Sunderland Development Squad
- Sunderland's N'Diaye Backs Paolo Di Canio's Approach
- Ryan Donaldson Leaves Gateshead For Cambridge United
- RFU Championship Playoff Final First Leg: Bedford Blues 9-18 Newcastle Falcons
- Is Alan Pardew Still The Right Man For The Job At Newcastle United? Opinion Poll
- LV= County Championship Durham CCC v Middlesex CCC: Day Two
- LV= County Championship Durham CCC v Middlesex CCC: Day One
- Sunderland End Of Season Stat Attack: SAFC Had Premier League's Most Accurate Finisher
Related tags: Football
- Sunderland's Titus Bramble Tweets Goodbye To Club And Teammates
- Sunderland Head Coach Paolo Di Canio Happy With Transfer Team Effort
- Former Sunderland Midfielder Claudio Reyna Named Director Of Football At New York City Football Club
- Transfer Talk: Reported Sunderland Target Mbokani Hoping For Premier League Move
- PFA Warning For Sunderland Boss Paolo Di Canio After Players' Complaint
Related tags: Newcastle
- Have Your Say: Newcastle United Fans' Survey 2013
- Newcastle 0 - 1 Arsenal: Final Day Defeat As Steve Harper Says Goodbye
- Newcastle United Manager Alan Pardew Confident Over Future
- Danny Simpson Confirms Newcastle Exit
- Newcastle Boss Alan Pardew: I'm Staying At St James' Park
- Newcastle United Owner Mike Ashley Offers £1Million Incentive To Beat Arsenal
- Newcastle United v Arsenal Preview: NUFC 'Owe A Performance'
- Newcastle United Dad-To-Be Davide Santon Spared 99mph Driving Ban