Newcastle United’s pursuit of re-signing Andy Carroll has come to an end after he joined West Ham on loan.
A return to the North East has been mooted all summer but Carroll has opted to move to East London on a season-long loan deal.
West Ham have an option to complete a permanent deal for an undisclosed fee next summer.
Carroll joined Liverpool for £35m in January 2011 and could make his debut for Sam Allardyce’s side in their home game against Fulham.
The move reunites Carroll with a former manager in Allardyce and a former team-mate in West Ham captain Kevin Nolan.
Carroll made his Newcastle debut at the age of 17 in November 2006 in a UEFA Cup win over Palermo.
After a spell on loan at preston North End, he became a first-team regular in the 2009/10 season as Newcastle won promotion from the Championship with Carroll scoring 19 goals in all competitions.
He secured his move to Anfield after scoring 11 goals in 19 league games the following season.
He featured promiently for England at Euro 2012 though after becoming a more regular fixture in the Liverpool first-team towards the end of last season.
But, after returning from international duty to link back up with his parent club, new manager Brendan Rodgers suggested that Carroll's future was in doubt at Anfield.
He was initially linked with a move to AC Milan on loan and once that was rebuffed by Liverpool, a return to Newcastle was suggested and West Ham was also mentioned as a possible destination.
It is understood that both sides had offers rejected by Liverpool for the striker and at one stage Rodgers was quoted as saying he would be "mad to let Carroll leave on loan".
But, West Ham have sealed a temporary move for Carroll on August 30 and he told the club’s official website "I want to be playing games and obviously hoping to score some goals.
“I know the manager well and some of the lads, so it is nice for me to come to a place where I know people.”
- Transfer Talk: 'You Never Know' With Newcastle Deals
- Pardew Still Keen On Carroll
- Rodgers Would Be 'A Nutcase' To Let Carroll Leave
- West Ham Deny Carroll Deal Done
- Transfer Talk: No Newcastle Bid For Carroll
- Transfer Talk: Newcastle's European Campaign Attractive For Carroll
- Newcastle Given Hope Over Andy Carroll Signing
- Alan Pardew: Liverpool Must Accept Loss On Andy Carroll
More from Newcastle United
- Metz Striker Olivier Kemen Keen On Newcastle Switch
- Alienation And Amusement: Joe Kinnear Returns To Newcastle
- Sky Sources: Andy Carroll To Undergo West Ham Medical
- Kinnear's Transfer Dealings: 54 Players Signed - But No Frenchmen
- Newcastle Confirm Appointment Of Director Of Football Joe Kinnear
- Late Bid For Carroll? Kinnear's Newcastle Striker Hunt
- Joe Kinnear: I'm More Intelligent Than Newcastle United Fans
- Steven Taylor Backs Joe Kinnear's Newcastle Return
Related tags: Sport
- Badge Of Honour? Sunderland Boss's Dig At Rivals While Meeting President
- Free Travel Offered To Away Fans On Derby Day
- Transfer Talk: Sunderland Chase PSV Keeper Jereon Zoet
- Joe Kinnear: Newcastle Must Strengthen For Europe
- Joe Kinnear: Listen To Sky Sports News Interview In Full
- Newcastle United's Yohan Cabaye Not For Sale Says Joe Kinnear
- Alan Pardew 'Undermined' By 'Pointless' Kinnear Appointment
- Newcastle's Yohan Cabaye: Monaco Transfer 'Might Interest Everyone'