Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers has claimed he would 'need to be a nutcase' to let striker Andy Carroll leave Anfield on loan.
Rodgers hit out at Newcastle for trying to get Carroll - a player they sold to the Merseysiders for £35million in January 2011 - back on the cheap.
The Reds boss, who had previously hinted a move could be on the cards, insisted he did not have enough depth in his squad to let the England striker leave without raising funds for a replacement.
"There is absolutely no chance [of a loan deal] - and certainly not Newcastle," Rodgers said.
"Newcastle got £35m for this player last year. To even consider wanting to take him on loan is a liberty really.
"We have got a very small squad as it is. We have lost a lot of players this summer and I have not replaced them, as of yet. That is the reality of where we are.
"I need a minimum of three strikers. Once the window shuts, that is it until January. I have got (Luis) Suarez, Fabio Borini, and Andy Carroll.
"I would need to be a nutcase even to consider at this moment to let Carroll go out, unless there are other solutions for that."
Newcastle and other clubs were alerted to Carroll's potential availability in July when Rodgers suggested he would be open to a loan move for the 23-year-old if it "can benefit the club in the long term".
However, the offer made by Newcastle - reported to be a loan move with a view to a £12million permanent return to Tyneside with Liverpool still responsible for a sizeable chunk of his wages in the meantime - has particularly irked Rodgers.
- Newcastle Transfer Talk: Dilemma For Douglas And Arsenal Need A Big Cheick
- Pardew Relishing Europa Challenge
- True Faith Preview: Atromitos v Newcastle
More from Newcastle United
- Newcastle's Steven Taylor Hopes Captain Coloccini Stays
- Newcastle Target Aubameyang Urged To Join Anzhi Makhachkala
- Newcastle United Manager Alan Pardew Backed By Board
- Transfer Talk: San Lorenzo Still Hope To Sign Newcastle United's Fabricio Coloccini
- Newcastle United No To Signing Andy Carroll
- Newcastle End Of Season Stat Attack: NUFC Had Worst Defence And Dirtiest Player
- Sky Sources: West Ham And Liverpool Agree Fee For Andy Carroll
- Tyne And Wear Football Team Of The Season: What Do You Think?
Related tags: Sport
- Sunderland's Ahmed Elmohamady Keen On Hull Stay
- Sunderland's N'Diaye Backs Paolo Di Canio's Approach
- Altrincham Striker Joins Sunderland Development Squad
- Ryan Donaldson Leaves Gateshead For Cambridge United
- RFU Championship Playoff Final First Leg: Bedford Blues 9-18 Newcastle Falcons
- Is Alan Pardew Still The Right Man For The Job At Newcastle United? Opinion Poll
- LV= County Championship Durham CCC v Middlesex CCC: Day Two
- LV= County Championship Durham CCC v Middlesex CCC: Day One
Related tags: Football
- Sunderland End Of Season Stat Attack: SAFC Had Premier League's Most Accurate Finisher
- Sunderland's Titus Bramble Tweets Goodbye To Club And Teammates
- Sunderland Head Coach Paolo Di Canio Happy With Transfer Team Effort
- Former Sunderland Midfielder Claudio Reyna Named Director Of Football At New York City Football Club
- Transfer Talk: Reported Sunderland Target Mbokani Hoping For Premier League Move
Related tags: Newcastle
- Have Your Say: Newcastle United Fans' Survey 2013
- Newcastle 0 - 1 Arsenal: Final Day Defeat As Steve Harper Says Goodbye
- Newcastle United Manager Alan Pardew Confident Over Future
- Danny Simpson Confirms Newcastle Exit
- Newcastle Boss Alan Pardew: I'm Staying At St James' Park
- Newcastle United Owner Mike Ashley Offers £1Million Incentive To Beat Arsenal
- Newcastle United v Arsenal Preview: NUFC 'Owe A Performance'
- Newcastle United Dad-To-Be Davide Santon Spared 99mph Driving Ban