Vurnon Anita believes he would suit Newcastle United's playing style after confirming that a deal has been agreed with Ajax.
Sky revealed over the weekend that the Magpies had struck a deal with the Dutch club and the transfer is now expected to be finalised in the coming days.
The Holland international, who can play at left-back or in midfield, has been one of Alan Pardew's transfer targets for much of the summer and Ajax were reluctant to sell.
Anita, who is reportedly set to sign a five-year contract, told De Telegraaf: "The clubs have worked out a deal. Newcastle will pay a fixed fee of €8.5million and bonuses."
Ajax are believed to have offered the 23-year-old a counter-proposal with a contract until 2016 or 2017 in an effort to keep him in Amsterdam.
"But the wage I had in mind was above the new salary ceiling," the player explained.
Video: Alan Pardew on making a new signing this week
However, he is excited about the prospect of linking up with a club like Newcastle and believes they share the same vision of how the game should be played.
"Ajax is a fantastic club where I have played since I was nine, so therefore you have doubts," he said.
"But Newcastle is a big club, who did very well last year. They want to play, and that's what I want also."
Meanwhile, Sky Tyne and Wear sources suggest that other Newcastle target, Gregory Van Der Wiel has rejected the chance to join the club.
Give us your views on who should join Newcastle this summer by using #STWTransfers.
- Newcastle Transfer Latest: Van Der Wiel And Kouyate In, Obertan And Ranger Out?
- Newcastle Target Anita Offered New Deal At Ajax
- Transfer Talk: Sunderland And Newcastle Given Anita Hope
- Transfer Talk: Newcastle Target Anita 'Tempted By Premiership'
More from Newcastle United
- Derek Llambias Quits Newcastle United Role: Live Blog
- Derek Llambias Resigns From Role As Managing Director At Newcastle United
- West Ham Sign Former Newcastle United Striker Andy Carroll For Club Record Fee
- Newcastle United Boss Alan Pardew Leads The Premier League Sack Race
- Newcastle United Manager Alan Pardew: I'm Going Nowhere
- Newcastle And Sunderland's 2013/14 League Fixtures Announced
- Transfer Talk: Newcastle United Pulled Out Of Douglas Deal By Joe Kinnear
- Metz Striker Olivier Kemen Keen On Newcastle Switch
Related tags: Sport
- Sunderland Sign David Moberg Karlsson From IFK Goteborg
- Transfer Talk: Sunderland Linked With Move For Argentinian Lucas Orban
- Transfer Talk: Sunderland Make Matej Vydra Loan Bid
- Steven Fletcher Fitness Boost For Sunderland Head Coach Paolo Di Canio
- Badge Of Honour? Sunderland Boss's Dig At Rivals While Meeting President
- Free Travel Offered To Away Fans On Derby Day
- Transfer Talk: Sunderland Chase PSV Keeper Jereon Zoet
- Alienation And Amusement: Joe Kinnear Returns To Newcastle
Related tags: Football
Related tags: Newcastle
- Kinnear's Transfer Dealings: 54 Players Signed - But No Frenchmen
- Newcastle Confirm Appointment Of Director Of Football Joe Kinnear
- Late Bid For Carroll? Kinnear's Newcastle Striker Hunt
- Joe Kinnear: I'm More Intelligent Than Newcastle United Fans
- Steven Taylor Backs Joe Kinnear's Newcastle Return
- Joe Kinnear: Newcastle Must Strengthen For Europe