Newcastle United suffered a heavy defeat away to Cardiff City in their final pre-season friendly.
Alan Pardew’s side were 3-0 down inside the first 20 minutes after goals from Aron Gunnarsson and Joe Ralls.
A Shola Ameobi penalty just after half-time brought them back into the game but a 76th minute strike from Etien Velikonja ensured the Championship side won by a comfortable margin.
This was Newcastle’s eighth friendly of the pre-season and their second defeat of their preparations.
Gunnarsson’s first for Cardiff came after 15 minutes through a well-taken volley and four minutes later Ralls finished well to double their lead.
Icelandic midfielder Gunnarsson then finished from 12 yards when left un-marked to leave Pardew’s side 3-0 down at half-time.
Ameobi’s consolation came from the penalty spot in the 49th minute after Jonas Gutierrez was pushed trying to get on the end of Haris Vuckic’s cross.
Cardiff’s fourth came through a ‘route one’ approach as Slovenian striker Velikonja beat Mike Williamson to a long ball and slotted past Krul.
Despite the defeat though, a positive for Pardew was the introduction of young striker Adam Campbell who looked lively in the closing stages after coming to prominence during pre-season for the reserves.
Newcastle start their Premier League campaign next weekend with a visit from fellow Europa League qualifiers Tottenham Hotspur.
- Newcastle Transfer Latest: Van Der Wiel And Kouyate In, Obertan And Ranger Out?
- Ashley Closes On Rangers Investment
- Transfer Talk: Newcastle And Sunderland Chase Scott Dann
- Newcastle Draw Greek Side Atromitos In Europa League
More from Newcastle United
- Derek Llambias Quits Newcastle United Role: Live Blog
- Derek Llambias Resigns From Role As Managing Director At Newcastle United
- West Ham Sign Former Newcastle United Striker Andy Carroll For Club Record Fee
- Newcastle United Boss Alan Pardew Leads The Premier League Sack Race
- Newcastle United Manager Alan Pardew: I'm Going Nowhere
- Newcastle And Sunderland's 2013/14 League Fixtures Announced
- Transfer Talk: Newcastle United Pulled Out Of Douglas Deal By Joe Kinnear
- Metz Striker Olivier Kemen Keen On Newcastle Switch
Related tags: Sport
- Alan Shearer: Newcastle United Mess Makes Me Sick
- Sunderland Sign David Moberg Karlsson From IFK Goteborg
- Transfer Talk: Sunderland Linked With Move For Argentinian Lucas Orban
- Transfer Talk: Sunderland Make Matej Vydra Loan Bid
- Steven Fletcher Fitness Boost For Sunderland Head Coach Paolo Di Canio
- Badge Of Honour? Sunderland Boss's Dig At Rivals While Meeting President
- Free Travel Offered To Away Fans On Derby Day
- Transfer Talk: Sunderland Chase PSV Keeper Jereon Zoet
Related tags: Football
- Alienation And Amusement: Joe Kinnear Returns To Newcastle
- Sky Sources: Andy Carroll To Undergo West Ham Medical
Related tags: Newcastle
- Kinnear's Transfer Dealings: 54 Players Signed - But No Frenchmen
- Newcastle Confirm Appointment Of Director Of Football Joe Kinnear
- Late Bid For Carroll? Kinnear's Newcastle Striker Hunt
- Joe Kinnear: I'm More Intelligent Than Newcastle United Fans
- Steven Taylor Backs Joe Kinnear's Newcastle Return
- Joe Kinnear: Newcastle Must Strengthen For Europe