Montpellier star Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa has confirmed that Newcastle United remain interested in his signature.
And the highly-rated France international defender has admitted he would relish the chance to move to Tyneside.
However, he also states that he would see the move to Newcastle as a perfect stepping stone to move on to AC Milan, who have seen a bid rejected.
Yanga-Mbiwa, 23, is captain of Montpellier and having led them to the French title last season is in talks over a new deal, but with Milan bidding and Newcastle still keen, is considering his options.
"It is possible that I can renew my contract with Montpellier, just as it is possible that I will not renew it," he told TuttoMercato.
"I do not exclude the possibility of renewing my contract with Montpellier."
Milan have seen a bid rejected by Montpellier and Yanga-Mbiwa admits he would love the chance to play for the Italian giants.
"Playing for Milan would certainly be a great opportunity for me, so now we wait," he continued.
He then admitted that Newcastle remain keen on him, suggesting a move to England could come before a switch to Italy.
"I know that Newcastle are also interested in me. Newcastle would be a great opportunity for me, and I would hope that eventually I could join Milan.
"Joining Newcastle before Milan would give me the chance to mature even more and gain more experience. We'll see what happens."
Milan chief Adriano Galliano confirmed over the weekend that they had seen their bid rejected.
"Montpellier turned down our offer and we cannot reach an agreement for buying the player," he said.
"Therefore, the case is closed with no regrets or bitterness."
- Pardew Eyes Three Arrivals
- Pardew Relaxed Over Transfers
- Transfer Talk: Lille Decide To Keep Debuchy
- Transfer Talk: Newcastle Up Debuchy Bid
More from Newcastle United
- Newcastle United Dad-To-Be Davide Santon Spared 99mph Driving Ban
- Newcastle United Owner Mike Ashley Arrives At Training Ground In Helicopter
- Sports Direct News Apologises For Newcastle Rooney Bid Claims
- 'Not A Grain Of Truth' In Sports Direct News Report Of Newcastle Rooney Bid
- Yohan Cabaye Backs Newcastle's French Players To Come Good
- Newcastle's Ben Arfa: We'll Be Back Near The Top Next Season
- Newcastle's Ryan Taylor Set For Career-Saving Surgery In US
- Newcastle Defender Mike Williamson: QPR Win Proves There's No Split
Related tags: Sport
- Lance Armstrong's Life Story Trampled Underfoot In Newcastle
- Sky Ride Comes To NewcastleGateshead In Summer Of 2013: Get Your Bikes Out
- Paolo Di Canio Fires Holiday Threat At Sunderland Squad
- Sunderland Safe From Relegation: Reaction From Ex Player and Fanzines
- SAFC Boss Di Canio On Connor Wickham Frustration: I Have To Slap His Face
- Ready To Welcome Europe: Christine Ohuruogu Visits Gateshead Ahead Of International Games
- Sunderland's Alfred N'Diaye Impressed By Goalkeeper Simon Mignolet
- Newcastle United Manager Alan Pardew Reassures Fans On Arsenal Joke
Related tags: Football
- Champagne And Singing As Newcastle Go Safe In Squeaky QPR Victory
- Sunderland 1 - 1 Southampton: Di Canio Hails Important Point Against 'Better' Saints
- Newcastle Safe: 2 - 1 Win Over QPR Guarantees Premier League Survival
Related tags: Newcastle
- Newcastle Boss Pardew Refuses To Rule Out Summer Move For Remy
- Newcastle Boss Alan Pardew Wants Talks With Owner Mike Ashley
- QPR v Newcastle Preview: Pardew's Men Head To London Looking For Three Points And Safety
- 'Very Happy' Yohan Cabaye Remains Focused On Newcastle
- Newcastle United Captain Fabricio Coloccini Desperate For Premier League Survival