Sky understands that Andy Carroll does not want to leave Liverpool on a permanent basis, while Newcastle legend Alan Shearer says the England striker should leave Liverpool if he is not in the manager's plans.
Newcastle have made a bid to bring Carroll back to the club on loan, which was rejected by Liverpool.
Having initially hinted that they would allow Carroll to go out loan, Liverpool's rejection of Newcastle's offer suggests the board have changed their stance.
But Newcastle have refused to accept defeat and are reportedly preparing a new loan offer.
As revealed by Sky Tyne and Wear yesterday, Carroll would be open to a loan move to Newcastle, but has concerns about how the fans might react to him.
Carroll, 23, was sold to Liverpool by Newcastle for £35million 18 months ago but new Anfield boss Brendan Rodgers does not see the forward as part of his future plans.
Newcastle United legend Shearer, 41, said a return to Tyneside would be the forward's best option.
Shearer told The Sun: "There is an old saying that you should never go back but, in Andy's case, I don't think it would be a mistake at all.
"He was hero worshipped by the [Newcastle] crowd first time around and they would warm to him again.
"Andy will realise that you can't fight it if the manager has plans that don't include you.
"It is better to go and start again.
"Brendan Rodgers wants to build his own team and he is entitled to do that."
More from Newcastle United
- Newcastle's Steven Taylor Hopes Captain Coloccini Stays
- Newcastle Target Aubameyang Urged To Join Anzhi Makhachkala
- Newcastle United Manager Alan Pardew Backed By Board
- Transfer Talk: San Lorenzo Still Hope To Sign Newcastle United's Fabricio Coloccini
- Newcastle United No To Signing Andy Carroll
- Newcastle End Of Season Stat Attack: NUFC Had Worst Defence And Dirtiest Player
- Sky Sources: West Ham And Liverpool Agree Fee For Andy Carroll
- Tyne And Wear Football Team Of The Season: What Do You Think?
Related tags: Sport
- Sunderland's Ahmed Elmohamady Keen On Hull Stay
- Sunderland's N'Diaye Backs Paolo Di Canio's Approach
- Altrincham Striker Joins Sunderland Development Squad
- Ryan Donaldson Leaves Gateshead For Cambridge United
- RFU Championship Playoff Final First Leg: Bedford Blues 9-18 Newcastle Falcons
- Is Alan Pardew Still The Right Man For The Job At Newcastle United? Opinion Poll
- LV= County Championship Durham CCC v Middlesex CCC: Day Two
- LV= County Championship Durham CCC v Middlesex CCC: Day One
Related tags: Football
- Sunderland End Of Season Stat Attack: SAFC Had Premier League's Most Accurate Finisher
- Sunderland's Titus Bramble Tweets Goodbye To Club And Teammates
- Sunderland Head Coach Paolo Di Canio Happy With Transfer Team Effort
- Former Sunderland Midfielder Claudio Reyna Named Director Of Football At New York City Football Club
- Transfer Talk: Reported Sunderland Target Mbokani Hoping For Premier League Move
Related tags: Newcastle
- Have Your Say: Newcastle United Fans' Survey 2013
- Newcastle 0 - 1 Arsenal: Final Day Defeat As Steve Harper Says Goodbye
- Newcastle United Manager Alan Pardew Confident Over Future
- Danny Simpson Confirms Newcastle Exit
- Newcastle Boss Alan Pardew: I'm Staying At St James' Park
- Newcastle United Owner Mike Ashley Offers £1Million Incentive To Beat Arsenal
- Newcastle United v Arsenal Preview: NUFC 'Owe A Performance'
- Newcastle United Dad-To-Be Davide Santon Spared 99mph Driving Ban