French full-back Mathieu Debuchy could yet stay with Lille, according to the club's president.
The France international has attracted interest from a number of clubs with Inter Milan and Newcastle United leading the chase.
Both have had bids rejected after the player told the club he wanted to leave.
But reports claim that Debuchy could be ready to pen a contract extension with the club.
Lille president Michel Seydoux told RMC that he was quietly confident a deal could be done.
"Mathieu is on vacation. Let him rest. I think Mathieu is an essential element of our game and he knows it," he said.
"We'll see how things will slowly evolve."
- Transfer Talk: Santon Would Welcome Debuchy
- Transfer Talk: Lille Keen To Keep Debuchy
- Transfer Talk: Newcastle To Wait On Debuchy
More from Newcastle United
- Metz Striker Olivier Kemen Keen On Newcastle Switch
- Alienation And Amusement: Joe Kinnear Returns To Newcastle
- Sky Sources: Andy Carroll To Undergo West Ham Medical
- Kinnear's Transfer Dealings: 54 Players Signed - But No Frenchmen
- Newcastle Confirm Appointment Of Director Of Football Joe Kinnear
- Late Bid For Carroll? Kinnear's Newcastle Striker Hunt
- Joe Kinnear: I'm More Intelligent Than Newcastle United Fans
- Steven Taylor Backs Joe Kinnear's Newcastle Return
Related tags: Sport
- Badge Of Honour? Sunderland Boss's Dig At Rivals While Meeting President
- Free Travel Offered To Away Fans On Derby Day
- Transfer Talk: Sunderland Chase PSV Keeper Jereon Zoet
- Joe Kinnear: Newcastle Must Strengthen For Europe
- Joe Kinnear: Listen To Sky Sports News Interview In Full
- Newcastle United's Yohan Cabaye Not For Sale Says Joe Kinnear
- Alan Pardew 'Undermined' By 'Pointless' Kinnear Appointment
- Newcastle's Yohan Cabaye: Monaco Transfer 'Might Interest Everyone'