Newcastle boss Alan Pardew is not aware of any Barcelona bid for Yohan Cabaye and claims an £8million offer would not be enough.
Reports on Wednesday suggested that Barca were preparing a bid for Newcastle's French midfielder, but Pardew said the club have had no contact and would not consider an offer of that size.
The 26-year-old midfielder joined Newcastle from Lille for £4.8million and is considered one of the buys of last season.
A number of Newcastle players have been linked with moves away from the club, but Pardew says that only huge offers will be considered for players such as Cabaye, goalkeeper Tim Krul and midfielder Cheick Tiote.
"The interest [in Cabaye] is purely speculative," Pardew said. "We have had no contact and certainly no offer, and obviously we wouldn't even consider an offer anywhere near that region."
Pardew did admit, however, that the club would sell key players if they received an offer they could not refuse.
VIDEO: Pardew wants young players to step up
"If they come and they want to pay - and it's going to be very, very expensive for someone like him [Cabaye]. Trust me, he will be inflated - then we have to then go to plan B, which is to get a replacement.
"We like to think we are going to deal with stories like that about all our players. You could say [Papiss] Cisse, [Demba] Ba, Cheick Tiote, Tim Krul, Cabaye, [Fabricio] Coloccini - we have got some great players here.
"The type of club we are, where we are not in the higher reaches of European football, we haven't got that finance and our players are going to be linked to other clubs.
"It's flattering to us and to Cabaye to be linked with Barcelona.
"I probably leaked it myself," he joked.
- Amalfitano Looking To Adjust
- Anita To 'Consider' Newcastle And Sunderland Interest
- Transfer Talk: Sampdoria Rule Out Santon Swoop
More from Newcastle United
- Derek Llambias Quits Newcastle United Role: Live Blog
- Derek Llambias Resigns From Role As Managing Director At Newcastle United
- West Ham Sign Former Newcastle United Striker Andy Carroll For Club Record Fee
- Newcastle United Boss Alan Pardew Leads The Premier League Sack Race
- Newcastle United Manager Alan Pardew: I'm Going Nowhere
- Newcastle And Sunderland's 2013/14 League Fixtures Announced
- Transfer Talk: Newcastle United Pulled Out Of Douglas Deal By Joe Kinnear
- Metz Striker Olivier Kemen Keen On Newcastle Switch
Related tags: Sport
- Alan Shearer: Newcastle United Mess Makes Me Sick
- Sunderland Sign David Moberg Karlsson From IFK Goteborg
- Transfer Talk: Sunderland Linked With Move For Argentinian Lucas Orban
- Transfer Talk: Sunderland Make Matej Vydra Loan Bid
- Steven Fletcher Fitness Boost For Sunderland Head Coach Paolo Di Canio
- Badge Of Honour? Sunderland Boss's Dig At Rivals While Meeting President
- Free Travel Offered To Away Fans On Derby Day
- Transfer Talk: Sunderland Chase PSV Keeper Jereon Zoet
Related tags: Football
- Alienation And Amusement: Joe Kinnear Returns To Newcastle
- Sky Sources: Andy Carroll To Undergo West Ham Medical
Related tags: Newcastle
- Kinnear's Transfer Dealings: 54 Players Signed - But No Frenchmen
- Newcastle Confirm Appointment Of Director Of Football Joe Kinnear
- Late Bid For Carroll? Kinnear's Newcastle Striker Hunt
- Joe Kinnear: I'm More Intelligent Than Newcastle United Fans
- Steven Taylor Backs Joe Kinnear's Newcastle Return
- Joe Kinnear: Newcastle Must Strengthen For Europe