Luuk de Jong has indicated he intends to move to Germany next season - apparently ending Newcastle's hopes of signing him.
The Holland international is set to leave Twente, with Newcastle and Borussia Monchengladbach thought to be in a straight fight for the striker's signature.
The Magpies have already seen a reported £12million bid for his services turned down, with the Dutch club valuing the player nearer the £16million mark.
But the 21-year-old has suggested the Bundesliga is his preferred destination after speaking to Gladbach coach Lucien Favre.
"I have spoken to Favre several times," he told German newspaper Bild.
"I've told Twente that I only want to go to Gladbach. Borussia are playing in the qualifying round of the Champions League and I want to take the next step in my career.
"The Bundesliga is one of the best leagues in Europe. To make the next step with the national team I need to go there."
Gladbach were the surprise package of the Bundesliga last season, in much the same way that Newcastle lit up the Premier League, with the German side claiming fourth spot in the table.
- Transfer Talk: De Jong Hits Out At Twente
- Transfer Talk: Douglas And De Jong Will Cost Newcastle Big
- Transfer Talk: Newcastle Cool On De Jong
- Transfer Talk: De Jong Ready To Move On
More from Newcastle United
- Sky Sources: West Ham And Liverpool Agree Fee For Andy Carroll
- Tyne And Wear Football Team Of The Season: What Do You Think?
- Have Your Say: Newcastle United Fans' Survey 2013
- Newcastle 0 - 1 Arsenal: Final Day Defeat As Steve Harper Says Goodbye
- Newcastle United Manager Alan Pardew Confident Over Future
- Danny Simpson Confirms Newcastle Exit
- Newcastle Boss Alan Pardew: I'm Staying At St James' Park
- Newcastle United Owner Mike Ashley Offers £1Million Incentive To Beat Arsenal
Related tags: Sport
- PFA Warning For Sunderland Boss Paolo Di Canio After Players' Complaint
- Have Your Say: Sunderland AFC Fans' Survey 2013
- 'Psycho Drama Queen': Phil Bardsley's Girlfriend's Twitter Attack On SAFC Boss Di Canio
- Sunderland Boss Di Canio Criticises Phil Bardsley Over Casino Pictures
- Transfer Talk: Sunderland In For Striker Charlie Austin?
- Lance Armstrong's Life Story Trampled Underfoot In Newcastle
- Transfer Talk: Sunderland May Miss Out On Danny Rose
- Yorkshire Bank 40: Durham Lose To Hampshire By Five Wickets
Related tags: Football
- Spurs 1 - 0 Sunderland: Bale Brilliance Sinks Paolo Di Canio's Side
- Paolo Di Canio: Sunderland Would Have Gone Down Without Me
- Transfer Talk: Simon Mignolet's Agent Rubbishes Talk Of A Move
Related tags: Newcastle
- Newcastle United v Arsenal Preview: NUFC 'Owe A Performance'
- Newcastle United Dad-To-Be Davide Santon Spared 99mph Driving Ban
- Newcastle United Owner Mike Ashley Arrives At Training Ground In Helicopter
- Sports Direct News Apologises For Newcastle Rooney Bid Claims
- 'Not A Grain Of Truth' In Sports Direct News Report Of Newcastle Rooney Bid
- Yohan Cabaye Backs Newcastle's French Players To Come Good
- Newcastle's Ben Arfa: We'll Be Back Near The Top Next Season
- Newcastle's Ryan Taylor Set For Career-Saving Surgery In US