Newcastle defender Steven Taylor says he is in the 'final stages' of his recovery from a ruptured Achilles which has kept him out since last December.
Taylor underwent surgery after suffering the season-ending injury during the Magpies' home defeat to Chelsea at the end of last year.
The 27-year-old has been working hard on his rehabilitation with Newcastle's medical staff and is hopeful of being fit for pre-season training when the team regroup in less than a fortnight.
Taylor told the club's official website: "Fitness-wise, I've just been maintaining my work rate and sticking to the programme that Newcastle's physios have set for me.
"I'm feeling good at the moment and I've just got to keep on going.
"In footballing terms, we're into added-on time with the injury now and I just have to keep going. It's sometimes like a 93rd minute run back from a corner, but you know you have to do it."
Taylor hopes the hard work he is putting into his recovery will give him the edge over his team-mates in the fitness stakes after their summer breaks.
The defender is hungry to get back on the pitch after his lengthy stint on the sidelines as Newcastle prepare for a return to the European stage in the Europa League.
"Hopefully, come pre-season, I'm going to be a little bit ahead of the rest of the lads fitness-wise," he added.
"I won't push myself too hard the first week back, but I will be like an excited kid in a sweet shop because I've missed playing so much."
- Transfer Talk: De Jong 'Open To Newcastle Move'
- Transfer Talk: No Newcastle Bid For Cissokho
- Transfer Talk: Bedimo Denial After Newcastle Link
More from Newcastle United
- Newcastle United Dad-To-Be Davide Santon Spared 99mph Driving Ban
- Newcastle United Owner Mike Ashley Arrives At Training Ground In Helicopter
- Sports Direct News Apologises For Newcastle Rooney Bid Claims
- 'Not A Grain Of Truth' In Sports Direct News Report Of Newcastle Rooney Bid
- Yohan Cabaye Backs Newcastle's French Players To Come Good
- Newcastle's Ben Arfa: We'll Be Back Near The Top Next Season
- Newcastle's Ryan Taylor Set For Career-Saving Surgery In US
- Newcastle Defender Mike Williamson: QPR Win Proves There's No Split
Related tags: Sport
- Lance Armstrong's Life Story Trampled Underfoot In Newcastle
- Sky Ride Comes To NewcastleGateshead In Summer Of 2013: Get Your Bikes Out
- Paolo Di Canio Fires Holiday Threat At Sunderland Squad
- Sunderland Safe From Relegation: Reaction From Ex Player and Fanzines
- SAFC Boss Di Canio On Connor Wickham Frustration: I Have To Slap His Face
- Ready To Welcome Europe: Christine Ohuruogu Visits Gateshead Ahead Of International Games
- Sunderland's Alfred N'Diaye Impressed By Goalkeeper Simon Mignolet
- Newcastle United Manager Alan Pardew Reassures Fans On Arsenal Joke
Related tags: Football
- Champagne And Singing As Newcastle Go Safe In Squeaky QPR Victory
- Sunderland 1 - 1 Southampton: Di Canio Hails Important Point Against 'Better' Saints
- Newcastle Safe: 2 - 1 Win Over QPR Guarantees Premier League Survival
Related tags: Newcastle
- Newcastle Boss Pardew Refuses To Rule Out Summer Move For Remy
- Newcastle Boss Alan Pardew Wants Talks With Owner Mike Ashley
- QPR v Newcastle Preview: Pardew's Men Head To London Looking For Three Points And Safety
- 'Very Happy' Yohan Cabaye Remains Focused On Newcastle
- Newcastle United Captain Fabricio Coloccini Desperate For Premier League Survival