If you’re a Newcastle fan, did you ever wonder what happened to the man who played against Sunderland instead of Alan Shearer?
Paul Robinson started the famous, or infamous derby game between Newcastle and Sunderland in the rain in 1999.
Robinson had recently moved to Newcastle after impressing for Darlington and in his final match in charge at St James’ Park, Ruud Gullit left out Shearer for 20 year old Robinson.
The young striker made an impact though and set-up Kieron Dyer to score Newcastle’s only goal in a game they lost 2-1.
Robinson went on to leave Newcastle in 2000 and now plays for Northern League side Jarrow Roofing but has fond memories of his time with the club.
He told Sky Tyne and Wear: “I learned a massive amount from the managers and it was an experience I really loved.
“It was difficult for me being a Sunderland lad but overall it was a fantastic experience and I wish I’d stayed longer.”
- Gray: Sunderland Will Bounce Back
- Shearer On Martin O'Neill And The Derby
- Derby Week: Your View On Tyne-Wear Banter
More from Newcastle United
- Newcastle United Dad-To-Be Davide Santon Spared 99mph Driving Ban
- Newcastle United Owner Mike Ashley Arrives At Training Ground In Helicopter
- Sports Direct News Apologises For Newcastle Rooney Bid Claims
- 'Not A Grain Of Truth' In Sports Direct News Report Of Newcastle Rooney Bid
- Yohan Cabaye Backs Newcastle's French Players To Come Good
- Newcastle's Ben Arfa: We'll Be Back Near The Top Next Season
- Newcastle's Ryan Taylor Set For Career-Saving Surgery In US
- Newcastle Defender Mike Williamson: QPR Win Proves There's No Split
Related tags: Sport
- Sky Ride Comes To NewcastleGateshead In Summer Of 2013: Get Your Bikes Out
- Paolo Di Canio Fires Holiday Threat At Sunderland Squad
- Sunderland Safe From Relegation: Reaction From Ex Player and Fanzines
- SAFC Boss Di Canio On Connor Wickham Frustration: I Have To Slap His Face
- Ready To Welcome Europe: Christine Ohuruogu Visits Gateshead Ahead Of International Games
- Sunderland's Alfred N'Diaye Impressed By Goalkeeper Simon Mignolet
- Newcastle United Manager Alan Pardew Reassures Fans On Arsenal Joke
- LV= County Championship: Durham Beat Surrey By Five Wickets
Related tags: Football
- Champagne And Singing As Newcastle Go Safe In Squeaky QPR Victory
- Sunderland 1 - 1 Southampton: Di Canio Hails Important Point Against 'Better' Saints
- Newcastle Safe: 2 - 1 Win Over QPR Guarantees Premier League Survival
Related tags: Newcastle
- Newcastle Boss Pardew Refuses To Rule Out Summer Move For Remy
- Newcastle Boss Alan Pardew Wants Talks With Owner Mike Ashley
- QPR v Newcastle Preview: Pardew's Men Head To London Looking For Three Points And Safety
- 'Very Happy' Yohan Cabaye Remains Focused On Newcastle
- Newcastle United Captain Fabricio Coloccini Desperate For Premier League Survival