Politicians are urging people to keep calling Newcastle United’s stadium St James’ Park.
Club owner Mike Ashley has been told he will not receive support from the City Council after he announced a decision to rename it the Sports Direct Arena.
Councillors have written to news organisations asking for their support after the name change was announced in November.
The stadium will be called the Sports Direct Arena until a new sponsor can be found.
Newcastle United did not want to comment on the council's decision, but managing director Derek Llambias has said that it could generate up to £10m a year for the club.
More from Home
- Thrills And Spills As Chernobyl Fundraisers Complete Coast To Coast Challenge
- Three Arrested Ahead Of EDL Demonstration In Newcastle
- Nissan Micra 'Getaway Vehicle' Found After Post Office Armed Robbery
- Plea For Calm At EDL National Demo In Newcastle After Woolwich Murder
- Go Compare Advert Singing Chihuahua Stolen In Burglary
- Evolution Festival Director Jim Mawdsley Talks Curry, Cocktails And Bikinis
- Sunderland's N'Diaye Backs Paolo Di Canio's Approach
- Newcastle's Steven Taylor Hopes Captain Coloccini Stays