Captain Ben Clark says the players released from Gateshead this season are all good enough to find new clubs.
Clark was speaking after eleven of his teammates were told they would not be offered new deals.
Gateshead finished eighth in their third season in the Blue Square Bet Premier, two points outside the playoff places.
He said: "It was a really emotional day, this is the worst thing about being a footballer, we have had a fantastic season but the manager has had to make some tough decisions.
"There are some very good footballers who have not got contracts now and I am sure plenty of clubs will be sniffing around them."
Clark says that while the retained players and any new additions manager Ian Bogie may make to the squad should enjoy their summer, they have to come back fully prepared for pre-season.
"We've had a great season and while some may think we have overachieved, in the dressing room we feel we have underachieved.
"Our target was to reach the play-offs, we had some great victories but just missed out.
"We will relax over the summer and come back ready to hopefully go one step further."
More from Gateshead FC
- Ryan Donaldson Leaves Gateshead For Cambridge United
- Ian Bogie: Cambridge Win Vital After Deflating Midweek Draw
- Highlights: Gateshead 2-2 Macclesfield
- Gateshead 1-1 Lincoln City
- James Brown: 'Feeling Good' At Gateshead
- Five New Faces And Eyes On Promotion: Gateshead Aim High For Next Season
- Shaw Heads To Luton
Related tags: Sport
- Sunderland Sign David Moberg Karlsson From IFK Goteborg
- Derek Llambias Quits Newcastle United Role: Live Blog
- Derek Llambias Resigns From Role As Managing Director At Newcastle United
- West Ham Sign Former Newcastle United Striker Andy Carroll For Club Record Fee
- Transfer Talk: Sunderland Linked With Move For Argentinian Lucas Orban
- Transfer Talk: Sunderland Make Matej Vydra Loan Bid
- Newcastle United Boss Alan Pardew Leads The Premier League Sack Race
- Steven Fletcher Fitness Boost For Sunderland Head Coach Paolo Di Canio
Related tags: Football
- Newcastle United Manager Alan Pardew: I'm Going Nowhere
- Newcastle And Sunderland's 2013/14 League Fixtures Announced
- Transfer Talk: Newcastle United Pulled Out Of Douglas Deal By Joe Kinnear
- Badge Of Honour? Sunderland Boss's Dig At Rivals While Meeting President
- Transfer Talk: Sunderland Chase PSV Keeper Jereon Zoet
- Metz Striker Olivier Kemen Keen On Newcastle Switch
- Alienation And Amusement: Joe Kinnear Returns To Newcastle
- Sky Sources: Andy Carroll To Undergo West Ham Medical
Related tags: Gateshead
- Rugby League Highlights: Gateshead Thunder 12 - 56 Oldham
- Third New Signing For Gateshead
- 57 Games And Counting: Will Gateshead Thunder Ever Win Again?
- Gateshead Sign Former England International
- New Striker For Gateshead
- Gateshead Exit For Striker Shaw
- Sunderland 0 - 1 Manchester United
- Players Compete For Contracts At Gateshead Trials