A university football team is proving that hard work can lead to success as they maintain their place at the top of the league.
Team Northumbria have a three point advantage at the top of the Northern League Division Two after a 2-0 win over Darlington RA.
Goals either side of half time from Tom Davies and former Newcastle United Academy player Dean Critchlow were enough to give Paul Johnson's side a victory.
The squad is made up of former professional players who have been given the chance to study at Northumbria University on the scholarship programme.
One of those is former Sunderland reserve captain Gavin Donoghue. He said: "It is a good option for former professionals. You get to study at a good university as well as play football at a good standard."
Donoghue, who captains Team Northumbria, said he was pleased with his team's win ahead of their vital game with Newcastle Benfield in the Northumberland Senior Cup Semi Final on Monday night.
Donoghue added: "All the lads put in a good shift and it was important we got three points and we can now take our momentum into the Benfield game."
More from Non-League Football
- Open Top Bus Tour For FA Vase Champions Spennymoor Town
- Hebburn Town Juniors: FA Grassroots Club Of The Year
- Sunderland Women's Football Club Will Play In Super League From 2014
- Gateshead Boss Anth Smith Signs New One-Year Deal
- Gateshead Survive On Final Day Of The Season
- Video: More Football Violence As Fans Attack Stewards At Gateshead Game
- Hereford United 1-1 Gateshead: Point Closer To League Safety
- Former Gateshead Boss Ian Bogie Takes Over At Stockport
Related tags: Sport
- Paolo Di Canio: Sunderland Would Have Gone Down Without Me
- Transfer Talk: Simon Mignolet's Agent Rubbishes Talk Of A Move
- Danny Simpson Confirms Newcastle Exit
- Newcastle Boss Alan Pardew: I'm Staying At St James' Park
- Newcastle United Owner Mike Ashley Offers £1Million Incentive To Beat Arsenal
- Tottenham Hotspur v Sunderland Preview: SAFC To Play With 'Dignity'
- Newcastle United v Arsenal Preview: NUFC 'Owe A Performance'
- Dale Benkenstein Blow For Durham County Cricket Club
Related tags: Football
- Newcastle United Dad-To-Be Davide Santon Spared 99mph Driving Ban
- Newcastle United Owner Mike Ashley Arrives At Training Ground In Helicopter
- Sports Direct News Apologises For Newcastle Rooney Bid Claims
- Paolo Di Canio Fires Holiday Threat At Sunderland Squad
- 'Not A Grain Of Truth' In Sports Direct News Report Of Newcastle Rooney Bid
- Sunderland Safe From Relegation: Reaction From Ex Player and Fanzines
- Yohan Cabaye Backs Newcastle's French Players To Come Good
- Newcastle's Ben Arfa: We'll Be Back Near The Top Next Season
Related tags: Nonleague
- Gateshead To Play Final Home Game At Middlesbrough
- Alfreton Town 3 - 2 Gateshead: Heed Surrender Two-Goal Lead
- Northern League Highlights: Manager Blasts Dunston After Consett Defeat
- AFC Telford 0-0 Gateshead: Third Game Unbeaten For Anth Smith's Side
- Gateshead 3-0 Hyde: Second Straight Win For Anth Smith's Side
- Gateshead 2-0 Kidderminster Harriers: Win Takes Heed Out Of Drop Zone
- FA Vase Highlights: Washington 0 - 2 Jarrow Roofing
- SPENNYMOOR TOWN 5, NEWCASTLE BENFIELD 1.