Durham's Phil Mustard blasted 143 from just 91 balls as Durham crushed Surrey by 142 runs in the CB 40 at Chester-le-Street.
After being overtaken by Hampshire at the top of Group B the previous evening, Surrey's hopes of a quick return to the summit were snuffed out.
Durham were on course to beat their record 40-over total of 325, set against the same opponents at the Oval last year, until Mustard was out with the total on 271.
The remaining six overs brought only 27 runs for the loss of five more wickets and Durham finished on 298-9.
If Surrey thought they had clawed their way back into the game they quickly shot themselves in the foot as both openers departed carelessly with the score on 10.
Jason Roy revived them with 43 off 24 balls, but the visitors were all out for 156 in 29.1 overs, completing an unhappy week in the north-east following their innings defeat in the LV= County Championship.
Mustard led a charmed life early in his innings. On one he went down the pitch to Matthew Spriegel and edged the ball just out of Steve Davies' reach and on two he survived a very confident lbw appeal from Jade Dernbach.
The same bowler put down a simple return catch with Mustard on 16 and the left-hander went on to hit seven sixes.
When Durham chose to bat Mark Stoneman initially dominated the strike, cutting, driving and pulling Dernbach for three fours in the fourth over on his way to 50 off 50 balls with seven fours.
The stand was worth 87 when he skied a return catch to Zander de Bruyn, who cleaned up at the end of the innings to finish with five for 46.
Mustard's first six, over long-on off Gareth Batty, took him to 49 and he reached 50 off 45 balls before accelerating to 100 off 74.
He put on 118 in 14 overs for the second wicket with Ben Stokes, who made 45 before he was stumped off a leg-side wide by Murali Kartik.
Mustard, whose previous one-day best was 139 not out at Northampton last year, hit three sixes on his way from 121 to 142 before he was out in the 34th over, skying a catch to point.
At the start of Surrey's reply Rory Hamilton-Brown slashed at a short ball from Mitch Claydon and edged to slip then Davies shaped to pull Chris Rushworth and lobbed a catch to mid-on.
Roy and Gary Wilson put on 68 but after Roy hit three successive fours in Mark Wood's first over the young seamer picked up three wickets.
When Roy went for a big hit and skied a catch to Mustard it effectively signalled the end of Surrey's challenge.
- Durham Thrash Sorry Surrey
- Durham Secure First County Championship Win
- Kieswetter Century Sinks Durham In CB40
- County Championship: Magoffin Steers Sussex Home
More from Durham CCC
- Yorkshire Bank 40: Durham Lose To Hampshire By Five Wickets
- Dale Benkenstein Blow For Durham County Cricket Club
- LV= County Championship: Durham Beat Surrey By Five Wickets
- County Championship: Durham Move Closer To Win At Surrey
- County Championship Highlights: Durham Take Lead Against Surrey On Day Two
- Durham's Ryan Buckley Claims Five Wickets On Debut Against Surrey In County Championship
- Rain Stops Play In Durham's YB40 Clash With Surrey
- Durham CCC Face Double Header Against Surrey CCC
Related tags: Sport
- Sky Sources: West Ham And Liverpool Agree Fee For Andy Carroll
- PFA Warning For Sunderland Boss Paolo Di Canio After Players' Complaint
- Tyne And Wear Football Team Of The Season: What Do You Think?
- Have Your Say: Newcastle United Fans' Survey 2013
- Have Your Say: Sunderland AFC Fans' Survey 2013
- 'Psycho Drama Queen': Phil Bardsley's Girlfriend's Twitter Attack On SAFC Boss Di Canio
- Sunderland Boss Di Canio Criticises Phil Bardsley Over Casino Pictures
- Transfer Talk: Sunderland In For Striker Charlie Austin?
Related tags: Cricket
- Yorkshire Bank Pro 40: Five Wicket Win For Durham Dynamos Over Lancashire Lightning
- Yorkshire Bank Pro40: Durham Dynamos Defeated By Essex Eagles
- Yorkshire Bank 40 Preview: Durham Dynamos v Essex Eagles
- Durham Cut Upcoming England Fixtures
- LV= County Championship Highlights: Durham Go Top With Victory At Notts
- County Championship Day Three: Durham In Charge Against Nottinghamshire
- LV= County Championship: Nottinghamshire CCC v Durham CCC Day Two
- LV= County Championship Day One: Nottinghamshire CCC v Durham CCC Day One