Durham veteran Michael Di Venuto has retired from county cricket as he cannot cope with the physical demands of the first-class game.
The Australian enjoyed a successful spell after moving to the north-east in 2007 from Derbyshire, helping Durham lift the Friends Provident Trophy - their first piece of silverware - in his first season.
Di Venuto was in fearsome form at the top of the order in the next campaign, making 1,601 runs at 80.05 as Durham won their first County Championship before retaining it the following season.
The 38-year-old left-hander enjoys playing high quality cricket and feels he would no longer be able to do himself justice if he were to carry on playing county cricket.
"My body won't allow me to prepare and play the way I want," he told Durham's official website.
"I set high standards for myself and if I was to continue playing then it would be below these standards.
"While I know I still have some quality short form cricket in me, the day in, day out nature of first-class cricket I physically can't do anymore."
Durham head coach Geoff Cook was quick to pay tribute to Di Venuto's achievements at Chester-le-Street.
"Michael has been a prolific run scorer for the club during his time here and is a much respected player, who will be greatly missed," said Cook.
"He has proved to be a real inspiration on the field and the knowledge and guidance he has shared with our squad, especially the batsmen, has encouraged growth within the side.
"Michael should be incredibly proud of his time here at Durham and we wish him all the very best with his future endeavours."
- Durham's Plunkett Punished For Beamer
- Durham Miss Out On T20 Quarter Finals
- Harmison Heads To Yorkshire
More from Durham CCC
- LV= County Championship: Durham Beat Surrey By Five Wickets
- County Championship: Durham Move Closer To Win At Surrey
- County Championship Highlights: Durham Take Lead Against Surrey On Day Two
- Durham's Ryan Buckley Claims Five Wickets On Debut Against Surrey In County Championship
- Rain Stops Play In Durham's YB40 Clash With Surrey
- Durham CCC Face Double Header Against Surrey CCC
- Yorkshire Bank Pro 40: Five Wicket Win For Durham Dynamos Over Lancashire Lightning
- Yorkshire Bank Pro40: Durham Dynamos Defeated By Essex Eagles
Related tags: Sport
- Newcastle United Dad-To-Be Davide Santon Spared 99mph Driving Ban
- Newcastle United Owner Mike Ashley Arrives At Training Ground In Helicopter
- Sky Ride Comes To NewcastleGateshead In Summer Of 2013: Get Your Bikes Out
- Sports Direct News Apologises For Newcastle Rooney Bid Claims
- Paolo Di Canio Fires Holiday Threat At Sunderland Squad
- 'Not A Grain Of Truth' In Sports Direct News Report Of Newcastle Rooney Bid
- Sunderland Safe From Relegation: Reaction From Ex Player and Fanzines
- Yohan Cabaye Backs Newcastle's French Players To Come Good
Related tags: Cricket
- Yorkshire Bank 40 Preview: Durham Dynamos v Essex Eagles
- Durham Cut Upcoming England Fixtures
- LV= County Championship Highlights: Durham Go Top With Victory At Notts
- County Championship Day Three: Durham In Charge Against Nottinghamshire
- LV= County Championship: Nottinghamshire CCC v Durham CCC Day Two
- LV= County Championship Day One: Nottinghamshire CCC v Durham CCC Day One
- LV= County Championship Preview: Durham CCC v Nottingham CCC
- LV= County Championship: Joe Root Leads Yorkshire To Win At Durham