South African duo Herschelle Gibbs and Johann Myburgh combined for Durham to inflict a five-wicket defeat on hosts Derbyshire on Wednesday.
In a tight Friends Life t20 North Division game at Derby, Gibbs made 38 and Myburgh added 46 from 40 balls as the Dynamos passed the Falcons' 141-6 with seven balls to spare.
The victory came up in calamitous fashion when a full toss from former Durham paceman Mark Turner went for four byes.
Usman Khawaja top scored with 36 for the Falcons but Scott Borthwick, Liam Plunkett and Mitch Claydon each took two wickets to restrict their total and the Dynamos survived some late scares to claim their second victory.
The Falcons began badly after electing to bat first, Wes Durston caught at slip off in the first over without scoring and Ross Whiteley falling to a steepling top edge after hitting four boundaries in his 19.
Khawaja was starting to time the ball well when he tried to cut a ball from Borthwick that bounced more than he expected and was caught behind.
Plunkett speared one through Madsen's defence in the 14th over and although Chesney Hughes launched Graham Onions for a huge six into the car park, he became another victim of the impressive Borthwick when he was clean bowled.
Derbyshire had to be on top of their game to have any chance of denying the Dynamos and they rocked the visitors by striking twice in the first four overs - Phil Mustard was caught behind and then Ben Stokes fell to a tumbling catch by Poynton.
Gibbs should have been stumped on 13 and that threatened to prove decisive when he launched Groenewald out of the ground.
But David Wainwright found some turn to bowl him for 38 and then Dale Benkenstein nicked Rana Naved-ul-Hasan.
Myburgh revived Durham by driving Hughes for a six and a four in an over which cost 16 but the game was back in the balance when he sliced Turner to point.
The Dynamos needed 22 off the last three overs but the contest was settled when Gordan Muchall and Gareth Breese took 16 from Rana and the game ended on a note of anti-climax when Turner's full toss sped to the ropes.
- Durham Dynamos' Seven Wicket T20 Defeat
- Durham Win Tense T20 Opener
- Durham Dynamos Sign Herschelle Gibbs
- Clydesdale Bank Pro40: Durham Fall Short In Wales
More from Durham CCC
- Durham Dynamos Unchanged For Scotland Yorkshire Bank40 Clash
- LV= County Championship: Durham Beat Warwickshire By 11-Runs
- Durham Bowler Mitchell Claydon Joins Kent On Loan
- LV= County Championship: Durham CCC Earn Draw At Somerset CCC
- LV= County Championship Highlights: Somerset CCC v Durham CCC Day Three
- LV= County Championship: Somerset CCC v Durham CCC Day One
- Durham’s Graham Onions Reveals Dream Of England Call Up For Ashes Tests Against Australia
- Durham's Dale Benkenstein Fit To Return To Action After Avoiding Shoulder Surgery
Related tags: Sport
- Alan Shearer: Newcastle United Mess Makes Me Sick
- Sunderland Sign David Moberg Karlsson From IFK Goteborg
- Derek Llambias Quits Newcastle United Role: Live Blog
- Derek Llambias Resigns From Role As Managing Director At Newcastle United
- West Ham Sign Former Newcastle United Striker Andy Carroll For Club Record Fee
- Transfer Talk: Sunderland Linked With Move For Argentinian Lucas Orban
- Transfer Talk: Sunderland Make Matej Vydra Loan Bid
- Newcastle United Boss Alan Pardew Leads The Premier League Sack Race
Related tags: Cricket
- Yorkshire Bank 40: Durham Dynamos Beat Lancashire Lightning By 39 Runs
- Durham Dynamos Return To Yorkshire Bank 40 Games Against Lancashire Lightning
- Durham Pair Mark Stoneman And Mark Wood Sign New Contracts
- YB40 Highlights: Collingwood Leads Durham To Win Against Derbyshire
- County Championship: Middlesex Bat Out Durham Draw On Day Four
- LV= County Championship Durham CCC v Middlesex CCC: Day Two
- LV= County Championship Durham CCC v Middlesex CCC: Day One
- Yorkshire Bank 40: Durham Lose To Hampshire By Five Wickets