Seamer Chris Rushworth produced his second career-best performance of the week to put Durham on top after day two against Warwickshire at Chester-le-Street.
Brought in as a replacement for Graham Onions, the Sunderland-born Rushworth followed his one-day best of 5-31 against Nottinghamshire on Sunday by taking 5-46.
After an opening stand of 61 Warwickshire were all out for 197, trailing by 80, and Durham reached 28-2 in their second innings.
Rushworth's previous first-class best was 4-90 at Chelmsford in 2010 and this is only his second championship appearance in the last season and a half.
Rushworth's heroics left Durham with 11 overs to bat at the end of the day. They were in the sixth when Mark Stoneman was adjudged lbw to a swinger from Keith Barker, then Chris Woakes got one to skid on and pin Will Smith in front.
Jamie Harrison, acting as nightwatchman for the second successive day, survived the last three overs with Gordon Muchall.
Ben Stokes hit 66 as Durham recovered from a poor start to reach 228-5 on the first day of their Division One match with Warwickshire.
The hosts were 23-2 early on but Stokes, Will Smith (47), Dale Benkenstein (40) and Paul Collingwood (43no) ensured the teams reached stumps with honours just about even.
Keith Barker removed Mark Stoneman (7) who edged to slip Rikke Clarke, and the same man caught Gordon Muchall (0) off Chris Woakes as the Bears' opening bowlers made good use of favourable early conditions.
But Stokes and Smith dug in, defending stoutly and dispatching the odd bad ball, both men hitting seven fours as they added 109.
Chris Wright made a double breakthrough, bowling Stokes and then pinning Smith in front to make it 143-4.
Veteran duo Benkenstein and Collingwood added a painstaking 78 for the fifth wicket, though both survived edges off England Under 19 seamer Tom Milnes, making his debut.
Four overs from the close, Benkenstein lobbed an attempted pull to mid-on to give Woakes the breakthrough.
- 98 Run Win For Durham Over Notts
- Durham v Lancashire: Two Wicket Defeat For Durham
- Nine Wicket Defeat For Durham
- Stokes: My Main Focus Is Durham, But If The Call Comes...
More from Durham CCC
- LV= County Championship Durham CCC v Middlesex CCC: Day One
- Yorkshire Bank 40: Durham Lose To Hampshire By Five Wickets
- Dale Benkenstein Blow For Durham County Cricket Club
- LV= County Championship: Durham Beat Surrey By Five Wickets
- County Championship: Durham Move Closer To Win At Surrey
- County Championship Highlights: Durham Take Lead Against Surrey On Day Two
- Durham's Ryan Buckley Claims Five Wickets On Debut Against Surrey In County Championship
- Rain Stops Play In Durham's YB40 Clash With Surrey
Related tags: Sport
- Newcastle United No To Signing Andy Carroll
- Sunderland Head Coach Paolo Di Canio Happy With Transfer Team Effort
- Former Sunderland Midfielder Claudio Reyna Named Director Of Football At New York City Football Club
- Sunderland End Of Season Stat Attack: SAFC Had Premier League's Most Accurate Finisher
- Newcastle End Of Season Stat Attack: NUFC Had Worst Defence And Dirtiest Player
- Transfer Talk: Reported Sunderland Target Mbokani Hoping For Premier League Move
- Sky Sources: West Ham And Liverpool Agree Fee For Andy Carroll
- PFA Warning For Sunderland Boss Paolo Di Canio After Players' Complaint
Related tags: Cricket
- Durham CCC Face Double Header Against Surrey CCC
- Yorkshire Bank Pro 40: Five Wicket Win For Durham Dynamos Over Lancashire Lightning
- Yorkshire Bank Pro40: Durham Dynamos Defeated By Essex Eagles
- Yorkshire Bank 40 Preview: Durham Dynamos v Essex Eagles
- Durham Cut Upcoming England Fixtures
- LV= County Championship Highlights: Durham Go Top With Victory At Notts
- County Championship Day Three: Durham In Charge Against Nottinghamshire
- LV= County Championship: Nottinghamshire CCC v Durham CCC Day Two